The Theory of Group Characters and Matrix Representations of Groups: Second Edition
Author: Dudley E. LittlewoodNew issue not yet published: expected publication date is April 9, 2006 (see the AMS bookstore).
Originally written in 1940, this book remains a classical source on representations and characters of finite and compact groups. The book starts with necessary information about matrices, algebras, and groups. Then the author proceeds to representations of finite groups. Of particular interest in this part of the book are several chapters devoted to representations and characters of symmetric groups and the closely related theory of symmetric polynomials. The concluding chapters present the representation theory of classical compact Lie groups, including a detailed description of representations of the unitary and orthogonal groups. The book, which can be read with minimal prerequisites (an undergraduate algebra course), allows the reader to get a good understanding of beautiful classical results about group representations.Readership
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in representation theory.
- The Frobenius algebra
- The symmetric group
- Immanants and $S$-functions
- $S$-functions of special series
- The calculation of the characters of the symmetric group
- Group characters and the structure of groups
- Continuous matrix groups and invariant matrices
- Groups of unitary matrices
- Supplementary bibliography
- Publisher: American Mathematical Society
- Distributor: American Mathematical Society
- Series: AMS Chelsea Publishing
- Publication Year: 2006
- ISBN: 0-8218-4067-3
- Paging: 310 pp.
- Binding: Hardcover
- List Price: US$45
- Individual Member Price: US$41
- Order Code: CHEL/357.H